Monday, May 30, 2011

Hateful






It's been a mad, emotionally tumultous few days, brothers and sisters. Can't say I've been having a good time, but you know... whoever said it was all fun and games?


While everyone else was eatin' burgers and hot dogs, watching parades and fireworks and what-not, I was working out some personal shit. Things are, at last, on a more even keel. Hopefully they'll stay that way for a little while but I've become a cynical bastard in my dotage.


We do the best we can.


Anyway, out of all this turmoil and strife comes a story, one of those rare ones that pop suddenly into your head, demanding to be written stat. I obeyed.


What resulted is perhaps the most hateful little tale I've ever penned. I don't know. I've said before I'm not the best judge of my own work, so I e-mailed it off to my vetting crew, the Unholy Three: Janine Bealieu, fantasy writer Christian Klaver, and photographer/editor Ron Warren. They've had my back for a few years now, standing guard at the gate to make sure as little shit passes through as possible. If they think it's worthy, then bammo bammo, it gets submitted somewhere. If they don't, well... I may submit it anyway, who knows?


It felt cathartic to write it, though, whether or not anyone else in the world ever sees it.


So I put the question to you, fellow writers, artists, creators, etc... have you ever written or created anything out of sheer anger, pain, or hatred? And was it any good?

3 comments:

  1. I wrote one short story that was absolutely borne of hatred and rage, and it sucked.

    On the other hand, I'm working on a novel now that comes from a lot of pain and resentment, but also observation of the hilarious/stupid parts of the inspiring circumstances, and I'm pretty sure it's very good. So... 50/50?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah. definitively. When I'm spiteful, I want to write. It needs some cold-headed editing afterwards, but I'm always writing my best stuff when I'm mad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy! Some of the best writing I have ever done was the result of high emotion. IMHO.

    ReplyDelete