Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Announcement regarding TP

Many of you, no doubt, already know this, but it deserves a general announcement.
As of last night, I've requested that Trestle Press pull from sale the titles I've published through them. That would be "That Damned Coyote Hill" and the two "Deadland USA" episodes.

I'm not going to make a big deal out of this here at the blog, but in anticipation of the inevitable questions, I'll give you the short answer: there has been a general storm of controversy regarding the covers Trestle Press uses, and whether or not they've been obtained in an above-board manner. Here's the link to the Deviant Art site where all this first began spilling out.

In solidarity with my fellow writers (and in sympathy with graphic artists who, it seems, have had their work used for profit without permission) I'm cutting ties with Trestle Press.

I'll make another announcement when those stories find a new home.

13 comments:

  1. Trestle has been a crap outfit from day one. Terrible covers, poor formatting, just an inexcusable operation. Good for you for getting out of that mess, Heath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much power to you, Heath. It's not an easy decision to take. I have some Trestle Press titles up for review and I'm still not sure what to do about it.

    Sucks for Paulie B. though. He got caught right in the shitstorm and didn't deserve this. I can't blame the photo author for BGT for calling it out, but still. Hopefully he can roll with the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunately, I don't think anyone blames Paul or any of the other writers in the TP stable. Blame seems to have fallen squarely on the publisher.
    If you're going to be doing reviews, probably a good idea to get in touch with each author to see where they stand first-- the stuff you're reviewing might not even be available for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Heath! I considered publishing with them but the cover art was a big issue with me. So I declined and have moved on to find other avenues. Good job Heath we are proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it was Paul who led this charge, with Luca Veste at his flank. I didn't even KNOW about it until after that. So credit where credit is due!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Removed my titles too from the Trestlegate scandal

    ReplyDelete
  7. hay... i still do a little bit of graphic design in my spare time (none lol) if yr interested in some rip off free artwork let me know.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like Trestle hasn't handled things well ... and I can say out loud, now, I always thought their covers looked amateurish at best. Good luck finding 'em new homes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There should be a publisher that signs only eSerials. That would be funking cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a darn shame. At the beginning of a revolution, mistakes are made.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I had no idea - though I have since this kind of visual plagiarism before. Good on you for sticking to your guns and making a stand, H.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh thank goodness. I held off on a few excellent-sounding stories because the TP covers were just too dodgy. Looking forward to the re-release.

    ReplyDelete