Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Just an update, sort of



I just realized it's been almost a month since I've posted anything here. Sorry 'bout that. My lack of attention to this blog has been due to a couple of things--

One- the new job. It's not a bad gig, as far as working for someone else goes. I almost even kind of like it. And I've actually made a couple of new friends, which is something I don't do, generally (I find it hard to make new friends, I don't know why-- I suspect it's because I'm very jealous of my time and usually the ten or twelve hours a day I'm at work provides me with all the human interaction I really need). Anyway, despite that the job is not bad, it takes up a lot of my time now, time I used to use for writing.

Two- using the little time left in my day for writing. That's sort of a given, I reckon. But even then, I have to admit I haven't been using my free time very well. When I get home, I'm sort of tired, and so most nights I elect to watch a movie or read, then go to bed instead of writing. "I'll get up early tomorrow morning and write before I go to work," I keep telling myself. And about half the time, I actually do that. No good.

And three- I haven't had much to say. Most of the things that interest me, or that I feel like I want to share with everyone, I've already said a hundred times, right? And after awhile, you start to feel that your deepest convictions couldn't possibly be of interest to anyone but yourself. So I'll start to write a blog post about something, then stop halfway through.

But despite that, I have a few things that have been on my mind that might be of interest to others. I'll be talking about those things here, before the year is over. Keep checking back, okay? I promise to be wildly entertaining again soon.

The Hawthorne stories are continuing to do remarkably well, each of them managing to sell a couple every day. And CITY OF HERETICS has really taken off since yesterday, when the price point went down to .99 cents (all the Snubnose titles are on sale through the holidays, you should jump on that).

Currently, I'm working on a new Gideon Miles story for Beat to a Pulp Press. Should've been done a month ago, but David Cranmer has been extraordinarily patient as I hammer it out. Also writing a tale for a new anthology being put together by Andrew Nette. After that, the Cash Laramie/Hawthorne cross-over.

I think that, when those are done, I'll be laying off work-for-hire for a few months so I can get back to the third novel.

So there ya go. That's what I've been doing. What about you?

5 comments:

  1. That's good news about the job and the writing and I think the blog can sit in the back seat for a while. Put things up when you're rich in time or ideas and let us know when things to up. I'd better subscribe - seems like the way to keep in touch to me.

    Good luck,

    nigel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. blogs are big time sucks. I am trying to think of some new story ideas. After more than one hundred of the suckers, my well of ideas for "crime" stories is drying up. May have to go back to writing literary ones for a while. You don't need so much plot there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quick question. Do you consider City of Heretics to be a crime novel? I ask because one of the Darrell Awards Jury members has suggested it is fantasy due to the ghost cat. If it is SF/F/H, please visit http://darrellawards.org & nominate it before 1-1-13. Thanks! Memphissf at cs dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads-up on the Darrell Awards. I consider COH a cross-genre novel, rooted in hardboiled crime fiction, but with heavy fantastical elements. I'll check out the Awards!

      Delete