Friday, March 25, 2011

Box of Books


Got home from work today and found a big ole' box a' books on my porch. I was excited, until I brought the box in, opened it, and discovered that it was a bunch of copies of The Bastard Hand. Man, I already read that.

Heh. Kidding, of course. Naturally I was thrilled. Although to be honest...

It's kind of weird, but none of it feels like you THINK it's gonna feel. You work for years to get to a certain point, and when it arrives you're sort of thrown for a loop. I dunno. I can't explain it. Don't misunderstand, I'm very pleased that my book is out there and people seem to be enjoying it, but the sense of accomplishment or contentment I expected is nowhere to be seen. All I can think of is, 'what's next?' I need to polish up the manuscript for the second novel I just finished. I need to get back to work on the third one after that. The Bastard Hand is over and done now, aside from the pimping stuff. I feel the need to make sure the next book is even better.

And I imagine, if I'm lucky enough to have my second novel published, I'll feel the same way, all over again. Nothing's quite good enough, is it?

Oh, some good news: I heard this morning from the literary agent I've been holding out for, the one I really, really wanted-- she wants to see the manuscript for that second novel I mentioned. So that's very cool, yes? Fingers crossed.

6 comments:

  1. That is very cool, yes...and it's almost like an addiction, isn't it? Just keep feeding the beast...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Paul's sentiments. GET TO WORK! And congrats again on THE BASTARD HAND, and hope to see that second novel in print soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember holding my first printed book. Helluva thrill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Heath Lowrance...
    Once again, a very truthful, and funny post...and here I go feeling like a "fish" out of water among you...writers. blurp blurp, blurp <

    Heath Lowrance said,"Oh, some good news: I heard this morning from the literary agent I've been holding out for, the one I really, really wanted-- she wants to see the manuscript for that second novel I mentioned. So that's very cool, yes? Fingers crossed."

    Most definitely, Congratulation!
    DeeDee ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. DeeDee, I hope you never feel too out of place here; I'm always happy to see your comments!

    ReplyDelete